Re: linux-next: manual merge of the tip tree

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat Oct 26 2013 - 04:40:44 EST

* Will Deacon <will.deacon@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 02:03:42PM +0100, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > Today's linux-next merge of the tip tree got conflicts in
> >
> > tools/perf/config/Makefile
> > tools/perf/config/feature-tests.mak
> >
> > caused by commits 405ffbd (perf tools: Check libunwind for availability of
> > dwarf parsing feature) and mostly 308e1e7 (tools/perf/build: Clean up the
> > libunwind logic in config/Makefile) as well as various follow-up patches.
> >
> > I fixed it up (see below). Please verify that the resolution looks good.
> > Also note that this isn't really a trivial resolution of a conflict, but
> > required modifying various other files. That causes rerere magic not to
> > work and needs part of conflict to be resolved manually. Perhaps a good
> > idea would be to rebase Jean's patch on top of the cleanups going on in
> > the tip tree? Perhaps even carry the patch in the tip tree?
>
> These came via my tree (arm perf) after discussion here:
>
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2013-October/203077.html
>
> Now that they've been pulled by rmk, we can't back them out with
> ugly reverts, so I'm not sure what we can do to resolve in the ARM
> tree; it looks like the perf Makefile has changed significantly in
> -tip.

I realize that it was acked by Arnaldo, but for workflow reasons I'd
really prefer it if non-trivial perf tooling patches went to Arnaldo
as a pull request so that he can resolve any such conflicts. perf is
in constant development so it's less work for you that way.

(Kernel side changes can go that route as well, as long as they are
perf related.)

Thanks,

Ingo