Re: Large pastes into readline enabled programs causes breakage fromv2.6.31 onwards

From: Maximiliano Curia
Date: Tue Oct 29 2013 - 09:59:39 EST

¡Hola Arkadiusz!

El 2013-10-24 a las 18:00 +0200, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz escribió:
> Was just going over bug-readline and lkml archives and found no continuation
> of this.

> There was a patch proposed but didn't get applied.
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/8/17/31
> Maybe it only needs proper patch submission?

The latest patch is: https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/9/3/539

And the latest reply is: https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/9/11/825

Where Peter Hurley suggests that the patch needs a complete and detailed
analysis, but sadly I'm still not sure how to provide it. If anybody is up for
the task, by all means, go ahead.

The patch seems to be applied in the ubuntu kernel without any known issues so
far.

> Looking from bug-readline archives debugging it took huge amount of work and
> would be sad that all that ended up being wasted.

True, but I somehow agree with Peter in that a known bug is better than
applying a fix with unknown consequences, even though I think that
this particular patch won't break anything.

Happy hacking,
--
"If you have too many special cases, you are doing it wrong." -- Craig Zarouni
Saludos /\/\ /\ >< `/