Re: [BUG][ext2] XIP does not work on ext2

From: Andiry Xu
Date: Fri Nov 08 2013 - 19:28:25 EST

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Andiry Xu <andiry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Like this:
>>>
>>> fd = open(file_name, O_CREAT | O_RDWR | O_DIRECT, 0755);
>>> dest = (char *)mmap(NULL, FILE_SIZE, PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, fd, 0);
>>> for (i = 0; i < count; i++)
>>> {
>>> memcpy(dest, src, request_size);
>>> dest += request_size;
>>> }
>> OK, maybe libc memcpy isn't very well optimized for you cpu? Not sure how
>> to tune that though...
>>

> Hmm, I will try some different kinds of memcpy to see if there is a
> difference. Just want to make sure I do not make some stupid mistakes
> before trying that.
> Thanks a lot for your help!

Your advice does makes difference. I use a optimized version of memcpy
and it does improve the mmap application performance: on a Ramdisk
with Ext2 xip, mmap() version now achieves 11GB/s of bandwidth,
comparing to posix write version with 7GB/s.

Now I wonder if they have a plan to update the memcpy() in libc..

Thanks,
Andiry