Re: [RFC/PATCHSET 00/14] perf report: Add support to accumulate histperiods (v2)

From: Frederic Weisbecker
Date: Mon Nov 11 2013 - 08:09:08 EST

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 01:13:52PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> It's not an irrelevant feature at all! :-)
>
> It's just that for any sort of longer profile it was pretty
> difficult/frustrating to use, which I think held back adoption.
>
> That performance problem got fixed now by you and Namhyung, so I think
> we'll see even wider adoption of call-graph profiling...

Ah I see now. At the time Linus reported his issue, I had the feeling his
usecase was a bit "extreme", but I actually have no idea how far perf can be
used given that I'm mostly used to short benchmarks, typically hackbench,
perf bench sched messaging et al. Thing is I don't use it enough for my
real usecases :)