Re: [RFC/PATCHSET 00/14] perf report: Add support to accumulate histperiods (v2)

From: David Ahern
Date: Mon Nov 11 2013 - 09:45:20 EST

On 11/11/13, 5:19 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

In what way is call-graph profiling utilized typically?

Is it system-wide, i.e. something like:

perf record -a -g sleep 10

? If yes then that would explain why scalability problems rarely surfaced,
it takes a longer user-space profile to get to the event counts where
scalability started hurting.

Both. But not time periods long enough to generate GB sized files (limitations in the product). I get various reports of hung commands (usually perf-not terminated properly (now fixed) or the file is corrupted on transfer), but noone has complained to me about perf-report appearing to hang or for 20-30 minutes to generate a result.

David