Re: common location for devicetree files

From: Mark Rutland
Date: Mon Nov 11 2013 - 12:35:22 EST

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 04:24:13PM +0000, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 11/08/2013 11:32 AM, Jason Cooper wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 12:17:30PM -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:
> >> I get the point, just not sure how else to sort the 800+ .dts{i} files
> >> that we have in the kernel tree right now.
> >
> > Well, to start with, all #include'd files could go into a
> > arch/dts/include directory. That would clean things up a bit.
> >
> > We could also consider separating the dts files by ISA. All armv7 in
> > one directory, armv8, armv5te, powerpc, mips, etc.
>
> It's quite likely people will want to share some significant *.dtsi
> across multiple architectures.

At the moment we have some duplication of Versatile Express dtsi files
across the arm{,64}/boot/dts/ folders that could be shared. We already
share similar dtsi files between dts for ARMv7 and ARMv8 boards in
Pawel's external arm-dts repo [1].

Sharing across ISAs is important to me at least.

Mark.

[1] http://linux-arm.org/git?p=arm-dts.git;a=tree;f=versatile_express;h=7559c30fa94c471ff2a08c7936c5c01139d16f33;hb=18db2060268ae5b2b8616ba87376d73e338d4ca2