Re: [tip:x86/asm] x86, bitops: Change bitops to be native operand size

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Tue Nov 12 2013 - 03:53:06 EST

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 5:08 AM, Joe Perches <joe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-11-12 at 12:15 +0900, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> Talking about "ideal implementation" is also singularly stupid.
>
> I just want the various arch implementations to match
> the docs. I know that's stupid.
>
> Maybe if you really don't want to discuss things, you
> should fix the documentation.

E.g. by adding a paragraph that the actual allowed range of indices may be
a subset of "unsigned long" on some architectures.
Or if we know that everyone supports at least 31 resp. 63 bits, that it may
be limited to 31 resp. 63 unsigned bits, which is the positive range subset of
"long".

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds