Re: 3.10.16 cgroup_mutex deadlock

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Tue Nov 12 2013 - 11:55:10 EST

On Tue 12-11-13 09:55:30, Shawn Bohrer wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 03:31:47PM +0100, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > On Tue 12-11-13 18:17:20, Li Zefan wrote:
> > > Cc more people

> > Do you have sysrq+l output as well by any chance? That would tell
> > us what the current CPUs are doing. Dumping all kworker stacks
> > might be helpful as well. We know that lru_add_drain_all waits for
> > schedule_on_each_cpu to return so it is waiting for workers to finish.
> > I would be really curious why some of lru_add_drain_cpu cannot finish
> > properly. The only reason would be that some work item(s) do not get CPU
> > or somebody is holding lru_lock.
>
> In fact the sys-admin did manage to fire off a sysrq+l, I've put all
> of the info from the syslog below. I've looked it over and I'm not
> sure it reveals anything. First looking at the timestamps it appears
> we ran the sysrq+l 19.2 hours after the cgroup_mutex lockup I
> previously sent.

I would expect sysrq+w would still show those kworkers blocked on the
same cgroup mutex?

> I also have atop logs over that whole time period
> that show hundreds of zombie processes which to me indicates that over
> that 19.2 hours systemd remained wedged on the cgroup_mutex. Looking
> at the backtraces from the sysrq+l it appears most of the CPUs were
> idle

Right so either we managed to sleep with the lru_lock held which sounds
a bit improbable - but who knows - or there is some other problem. I
would expect the later to be true.

lru_add_drain executes per-cpu and preemption disabled this means that
its work item cannot be preempted so the only logical explanation seems
to be that the work item has never got scheduled.

> except there are a few where ptpd is trying to step the clock
> with clock_settime. The ptpd process also appears to get stuck for a
> bit but it looks like it recovers because it moves CPUs and the
> previous CPUs become idle.

It gets soft lockup because it is waiting for it's own IPIs which got
preempted by NMI trace dumper. But this is unrelated.

> The fact that ptpd is stepping the clock
> at all at this time means that timekeeping is a mess at this point and
> the system clock is way out of sync. There are also a few of these
> NMI messages in there that I don't understand but at this point the
> machine was a sinking ship.
>
> Nov 11 07:03:29 sydtest0 kernel: [764305.327043] Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 21 on CPU 26.
> Nov 11 07:03:29 sydtest0 kernel: [764305.327043] Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?
> Nov 11 07:03:29 sydtest0 kernel: [764305.327043] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
> Nov 11 07:03:29 sydtest0 kernel: [764305.327143] Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 31 on CPU 27.
> Nov 11 07:03:29 sydtest0 kernel: [764305.327144] Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?
> Nov 11 07:03:29 sydtest0 kernel: [764305.327144] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
> Nov 11 07:03:29 sydtest0 kernel: [764305.327242] Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 31 on CPU 28.
> Nov 11 07:03:29 sydtest0 kernel: [764305.327242] Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?
> Nov 11 07:03:29 sydtest0 kernel: [764305.327243] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
>
> Perhaps there is another task blocking somewhere holding the lru_lock, but at
> this point the machine has been rebooted so I'm not sure how we'd figure out
> what task that might be. Anyway here is the full output of sysrq+l plus
> whatever else ended up in the syslog.

OK. In case the issue happens again. It would be very helpful to get the
kworker and per-cpu stacks. Maybe Tejun can help with some waitqueue
debugging tricks.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs