Re: Does Itanium permit speculative stores?

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Tue Nov 12 2013 - 13:26:37 EST

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 06:00:26PM +0000, Luck, Tony wrote:
> > Does Itanium permit speculative stores? For example, on Itanium what are
> > the permitted outcomes of the following litmus test, where both x and y
> > are initially zero?
>
> We have a complier visible speculative read via the "ld.s" and "chk" instructions. But
> there is no speculative write ("st.s") instruction. I think you are asking "can out of order
> writes become visible in this scenario?"
>
> CPU 0 CPU 1
>
> r1 = ACCESS_ONCE(x); r2 = ACCESS_ONCE(y);
> if (r1) if (r2)
> ACCESS_ONCE(y) = 1; ACCESS_ONCE(x) = 1;
>
> > In particular, is the outcome (r1 == 1 && r2 == 1) possible on Itanium
> > given this litmus test?
>
> The "ACCESS_ONCE" macro casts to volatile - which will make gcc generate
> ordered "ld.acq" and "st.rel" instructions for your code snippets. So I think
> you should be fine.

Cute that volatile generates barrier instructions.

But no; I think Paul accidentally formulated his question in C (since we
all speak C) but meant to ask an architectural question.

So the point we're having a discussion on is if any architecture has
visible speculative STORES and if there's an architecture that doesn't
have control dependencies.

On the visible speculative STORES; can, if in the above example we have
regular loads/stores:

LOAD r1, x LOAD r2, y
IF (r1) IF (r2)
STORE y, 1 STORE x, 1

we observe: r1==1 && r2==1

In order for that to be true; we must be able to observe the stores
before the loads are complete -- and therefore before the branches are a
certainty.

Typically if an architecture speculates on branches the result doesn't
become visible/committed until the branch is a certainty -- ie. linear
branch history.

Alternatively:

x:=0

IF (cond) LOAD r1,x
STORE x,1
STORE x,2

Can r1 ever be 1 if we know 'cond' will never be true (runtime
constraint, not compile time so the branch cannot be omitted).