Re: [BUG] perf stat: explicit grouping yields unexpected results

From: Stephane Eranian
Date: Fri Nov 15 2013 - 05:13:39 EST

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 07:34:57AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> Btw., does the kernel side currently support discovery of such
>> impossible group scheduling constraints at group setup time?
>
> Up to a point.

It is only looking at the group itself not the overall condition
of the system, e.g., the other HT thread is case of shared
resources.
I think all it guarantees is that if the events in the group
are compatible with each other. And I think it covers the case
where the events use different counters but the same shared
resource, e.g., offcore_response on Intel X86.

>> If not
>> then it probably should and it should reject them straight away.
>
> We do I think, for the case where its obvious it can never fit.
>
> That said, if you have a pinned cpu event, it all comes apart.

You mean in the group?