Re: [patch 5/7 v2] export efi runtime memory mapping to sysfs

From: Dave Young
Date: Sun Nov 17 2013 - 21:17:47 EST

> > > +/*
> > > + * These are default attributes that are added for every memmap entry.
> > > + */
> > > +static struct attribute *def_attrs[] = {
> > > + &map_type_attr.attr,
> > > + &map_phys_addr_attr.attr,
> > > + &map_virt_addr_attr.attr,
> > > + &map_num_pages_attr.attr,
> > > + &map_attribute_attr.attr,
> > > + NULL
> > > +};
> >
> > If the UEFI spec ever releases an update for the memory descriptor
> > structure, and bumps 'memmap.desc_version', how are we going to signal
> > the incompatibility to legacy versions of kexec tools?
>
> Hmm, that is a problem. I will consider to export memmap according to
> what firmware provided with extra desc_version instead of using attrs from kernel
> data structure efi_memory_desc_t

Matt, desc_version is already in boot_params.efi_info, so kexec-tools can get
the version from there. I do not need to export it as another file.

I think for now we do not need worry much about the compatibility issue, do you
think I need add version checking in kexec-tools currently? like below?

if (desc_version != 1) /* current version is 1? */
error out it is not supported

--
Thanks
Dave