Re: user defined OOM policies

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed Nov 20 2013 - 03:02:29 EST

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > We have basically ended up with 3 options AFAIR:
> > 1) allow memcg approach (memcg.oom_control) on the root level
> > for both OOM notification and blocking OOM killer and handle
> > the situation from the userspace same as we can for other
> > memcgs.
>
> This looks like a straightforward approach as the similar thing is done
> on the local (memcg) level. There are several problems though.
> Running userspace from within OOM context is terribly hard to do
> right.

Not sure it's hard if you have per-memcg memory reserves which I've
brought up in the past with true and complete kmem accounting. Even if
you don't allocate slab, it guarantees that there will be at least a
little excess memory available so that the userspace oom handler isn't oom
itself.

This involves treating processes waiting on memory.oom_control to be
treated as a special class so that they are allowed to allocate an
additional pre-configured amount of memory. For non-root memcgs, this
would simply be a dummy usage that would be charged to the memcg when the
oom notification is registered and actually accessible only by the oom
handler itself while memcg->under_oom. For root memcgs, this would simply
be a PF_MEMALLOC type behavior that dips into per-zone memory reserves.

> This is true even in the memcg case and we strongly discurage
> users from doing that. The global case has nothing like outside of OOM
> context though. So any hang would blocking the whole machine.

Why would there be a hang if the userspace oom handlers aren't actually
oom themselves as described above?

I'd suggest against the other two suggestions because hierarchical
per-memcg userspace oom handlers are very powerful and can be useful
without actually killing anything at all, and parent oom handlers can
signal child oom handlers to free memory in oom conditions (in other
words, defer a parent oom condition to a child's oom handler upon
notification). I was planning on writing a liboom library that would lay
the foundation for how this was supposed to work and some generic
functions that make use of the per-memcg memory reserves.

So my plan for the complete solution was:

- allow userspace notification from the root memcg on system oom
conditions,

- implement a memory.oom_delay_millisecs timeout so that the kernel
eventually intervenes if userspace fails to respond, including for
system oom conditions, for whatever reason which would be set to 0
if no userspace oom handler is registered for the notification, and

- implement per-memcg reserves as described above so that userspace oom
handlers have access to memory even in oom conditions as an upfront
charge and have the ability to free memory as necessary.

We already have the ability to do the actual kill from userspace, both the
system oom killer and the memcg oom killer grants access to memory
reserves for any process needing to allocate memory if it has a pending
SIGKILL which we can send from userspace.