Re: small regression: hwmon: (applesmc) Check key count before proceeding - 5f4513864304672e6ea9eac60583eeac32e679f2

From: Chris Murphy
Date: Sun Nov 24 2013 - 12:02:45 EST

On Nov 24, 2013, at 9:57 AM, Henrik Rydberg <rydberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
>> Well, it seems to be a another one off event. It's the same hardware as
> before, and it was booting from a USB stick containing Fedora 20 final test
> candidate 2 which uses kernel 3.11.8. An immediate reboot did not reproduce the
> problem, nor multiple subsequent reboots. I think I previously mentioned a
> preponderance of these events happen when booting from USB sticks.
>
> Ok, thanks, that makes sense. So at least one problem is still there, but
> possibly very difficult to hit.
>
>> It would be nice to have an identical model for this testing. I suspect most users wouldn't go to the trouble to report the occasional, seemingly one off,
> events like this. So unfortunately it's uncertain if the hardware I have has a
> unique problem, or if it's a model specific behavior.
>
> I will keep this in mind next time I see this particular model. It is also
> possible that the SMC needs to be reset after having testing various more or
> less successful patches. Given the tiny cross-section, it looks like this one
> can rest for now.

This SMC has been reset within that past week, after a rest without its battery or power for about 2 weeks. So unless the SMC is particularly prone to corruption, I think the cause is elsewhere.

OS X always says this battery needs servicing, but doesn't elaborate. The manifestation is merely limited battery life, about 1 hour. All testing is always done with power connected.

Chris Murphy--