Re: make oldnoconfig fix?

From: Rob Landley
Date: Mon Dec 02 2013 - 21:58:43 EST

On 11/11/2013 12:55:37 PM, David Cohen wrote:
On 11/11/2013 10:13 AM, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
David, All,

Hi Yann,

On 2013-11-11 10:11 -0800, David Cohen spake thusly:
Is there a plan to fix 'make oldnoconfig' option?
I currently have need to it :)
I've tracked a thread fixing 'make olddefconfig' where 'oldnoconfig'
option is reported as a known bug, right?

Sorry, I don't understand what your problem is.

Maybe I assumed it was more 'known' then it actually is :)

Care to explain in details what problem you have:
- what you start with
- what you do
- what you get
- what you expected

The bug with 'oldnoconfig' is: 'make oldnoconfig' is just an alias to
'olddefconfig'. Any non-existent config is defined with its default
value instead of 'N'.

I work with embedded platforms. I need to maintain a set of defconfigs
for different products (customers some times want tailored configs, so
creating a generic one isn't an option always).

make allnoconfig KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG=oldconfigfile

I use this trick in http://landley.net/aboriginal/FAQ.html#dev_miniconfig

And yes, I submitted it upstream a couple times last decade, with documentation and everything:

https://lwn.net/Articles/160497/
https://lwn.net/Articles/161086/
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0607.0/1805.html

Rob--