Re: smp_call_function_single with wait=0 considered harmful

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Thu Dec 05 2013 - 16:43:28 EST

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> While doing my recent work on the generic smp function calls I noticed
> that smp_call_function_single without the wait flag can't work, as
> it allocates struct call_single_data on stack, and without the wait
> flag will happily return before the IPI has been executed.

I don't understand the problem yet. With wait==0,
smp_call_function_single() sets "csd = &__get_cpu_var(csd_data)", so
it's not using a struct on the stack. We'll queue up "func" and
likely will return before it is executed, but that should be fine
because nobody will overwrite csd_data until it *is* executed and
csd_unlock() has been called.

> This affects the following callers:
>
> arch/ia64/kernel/mca.c:mca_cpu_callback()
> arch/ia64/kernel/smpboot.c:ia64_sync_itc()
> arch/x86/kernel/kvm.c:kvm_cpu_notify()
> arch/x86/oprofile/nmi_int.c:oprofile_cpu_notifier()
> arch/x86/pci/amd_bus.c:amd_cpu_notify()

I don't see any reason why amd_cpu_notify() needs to use wait==0.