Re: RFC: binutils PATCH: Set e_type to ET_EXEC for -pie -Ttext-segment=

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Dec 10 2013 - 14:08:44 EST

On 12/10/2013 04:20 AM, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Where do the _32 and _32S relocations come from? Are we mixing multiple things inside -pie?
>
> They come from crt1.o and crtbegin.o. -pie uses Scrt1.o and crtbeginS.o.

OK, so this is fundamentally an issue with the gcc wrapper... there
isn't a way to get the relocatable crt files without telling the linker
to link PIE (except perhaps using some -Wl option, maybe "-Wl,-no-pie"?)

Either way, if the *only* goal is to get the file above a certain point,
like 4 GiB, then there is no reason not to randomize upward.

-hpa