Re: [patch net-next v2] ipv6: log autoconfiguration failures

From: David Miller
Date: Wed Dec 11 2013 - 15:55:01 EST

From: Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 20:21:38 +0100

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:45:14PM +0100, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>> If ipv6 auto-configuration does not work, currently it's hard
>> to track what's going on. This change adds log messages
>> (at debug level) on every code path where ipv6 autoconf fails.
>>
>> v2: fixed indentation in multi-line log output statements.
>
> Have you seen lots of those problems? Some of those seem like very
> serious problems and maybe could also deserve a pr_warn or pr_err.
>
> I hope these are one-time errors, so I don't think counters would
> be helpful.

I still think that statitics would better serve this issue.

For one thing, the event would always be counted, whereas with
pr_debug() someone has to turn on dynamic debugging in order
to see the message.

You can make them part of the per-inet6_dev MIB, and therefore
implicitly letting the admin know what interface the events
occurred on.

I would even prefer an approach involving signalling netlink
events in such circumstances with more detailed information.

Thanks.