Re: Writeback threads and freezable

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Mon Dec 16 2013 - 07:56:37 EST

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 07:51:24AM -0500, Tejun Heo wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 02:56:52PM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > > What are you suggesting? Implementing separate warm and hot unplug
> > > paths? That makes no sense whatsoever. Device hot unplug is just a
> > > sub operation of general device unplug which should be able to succeed
> > > whether the underlying device is failing IOs or not.
> >
> > I don't care. Trying to issue IO from an an IO error handling path
> > where the device has just been removed is fundamentally broken.
>
> What? Have you even read the original message? IO error handling
> path isn't issuing the IO here. The hot unplug operation is
> completely asynchronous to the IO path. What's dead locking is not
> the filesystem and IO path but device driver layer and hot unplug
> path. IOs are not stalled.

In fact, this deadlock can be reproduced without hotunplug at all. If
you initiate warm unplug and warm unplugging races with suspend/resume
cycle, it'll behave exactly the same - the IOs from flushing in that
scenario would succeed but IOs failing or not has *NOTHING* to do with
this deadlock. It'd still happen. It's freezer behaving as a giant
lock and other locks of course getting dragged into giant dependency
loop. Can you please at least *try* to understand what's going on
before throwing strong assertions?

--
tejun