Re: Can someone Ack and queue a patch for RTC subsytem?

From: Jason Cooper
Date: Thu Dec 19 2013 - 13:02:16 EST

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 06:40:24PM +0100, Alessandro Zummo wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 18:28:16 +0100 arno@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Arnaud Ebalard) wrote:
> > At some point, Alessandro Zummo wrote:
> > > I do not maintain a separate tree due to most RTCs being specifit to a
> > > subsytem.
> >
> > I do not understand: the chip is generic, i.e. this is not a RTC chip
> > specific to a given SoC (like rtc-mv.c is for instance). Can you be
> > more specific?
>
> Yes, this chip is generic, but most aren't. Some of those who
> are generic, are strictly connected to a particular system/board,
> and they end up in that system's tree. Most of the drivers
> are pretty small.

That goes against the whole goal of the arm-soc devicetree conversion.
For the past several years, we've been moving drivers _out_ of arch/arm/
into the appropriate drivers/ area. The goal of this was to unclutter
arch/arm/, and to more readily see and remove code duplication by
drivers.

thx,

Jason.