What does echo -c do (as found in dynamic-debug-howto.txt)

From: Alexander Holler
Date: Thu Dec 26 2013 - 12:39:14 EST

Hello,

I've just read Documentation/dynamic-debug-howto.txt (again) and I wonder what the parameter -c for echo is for (found at lines 94 ff).

Neither echo from coreutils nor the buildin from bash do know the parameter -c.

The paragraph which made me curious starts with

-----
Command Language Reference
==========================

At the lexical level, a command comprises a sequence of words separated
by spaces or tabs. So these are all equivalent:

nullarbor:~ # echo -c 'file svcsock.c line 1603 +p' >
<debugfs>/dynamic_debug/control
nullarbor:~ # echo -c ' file svcsock.c line 1603 +p ' >
<debugfs>/dynamic_debug/control
nullarbor:~ # echo -n 'file svcsock.c line 1603 +p' >
<debugfs>/dynamic_debug/control
-----

Is that -c a parameter for a buildin echo of one of the various shells, a typo (looks unlikely) or do I miss something else which make me look a noob?

Regards,

Alexander Holler