Re: Problem with cpufreq and i5 since post 3.9.0

From: David Woodfall
Date: Fri Dec 27 2013 - 19:16:15 EST

On (27/12/13 19:53), Dave Woodfall <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> put forth the proposition:
On (27/12/13 20:44), Heinz Diehl <htd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> put forth the proposition:
On 27.12.2013, David Woodfall wrote:

But any of the newer kernel versions I've tested only give me
performance and powersave.

I don't use any Fedora kernel, so I can't tell which governors are
enabled in those. You should check the value of "CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV"
in the respective .config file for your installed kernel.

In short: It seems that only "performance" and "powersave" are
compiled in.

No, I used the same .config in all versions that I tested. I've also
tried setting them as modules rather than built-in. This is the stock
slackware .config:

CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_COMMON=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=m

And modprobing any governor module does not change the output of scaling_available_governors.

-Dave

I'm also experiencing this with a Intel G640 dual core machine.
Exactly the same effect.