amd microcode broken by 3.12.0?

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sat Dec 28 2013 - 11:37:22 EST

Greetings;

Fresh build/boot of a PAE 3.12.0 on an AMD Phenom...

On checking dmesg, I see:

microcode: CPU0: patch_level=0x01000065
microcode: CPU1: patch_level=0x01000065
microcode: CPU2: patch_level=0x01000065
microcode: CPU3: patch_level=0x01000065
microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.00 <tigran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Peter Oruba

Fairly late since I don't have early microcode checked in the .config.
FWIW, it didn't work when I had it checked either.

While booted to much older kernels, it reports that each cpu has been
brought up to patch level 0x01000083

So, stepping into /etc/init.d and doing a "sudo ./microcode_ctl", this is
returned:

./microcode_ctl: 90: gprintf: not found

Which has me scratching my head, wondering if my .config is screwed?
What is gprintf?

grepping .config for "print":
gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.12.0$ grep -A5 print .config
# printk and dmesg options
#
# CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME is not set
CONFIG_DEFAULT_MESSAGE_LOGLEVEL=4
# CONFIG_BOOT_PRINTK_DELAY is not set
# CONFIG_DYNAMIC_DEBUG is not set

config.gz is attached.

Thanks for any hints.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

When I was 16, I thought there was no hope for my father. By the time I
was
20, he had made great improvement.
law-abiding citizens.