Re: Git puzzle

From: Jason Cooper
Date: Sat Dec 28 2013 - 23:36:33 EST

Hey Gene,

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 09:41:40PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Hey guys, I need to setup a bisect using git but the man pages aren't
> giving me what I need to know. Mainly I have no clue what the URL for the
> git repos looks like, I've been downloading and building the tarballs from
> kernel.org all this time.

Looks like you now have your driving problem to learn git. ;-)

> Assuming I start with fresh git pull of 3.8.2 which worked,

Here's where the wheels come off the cart. You aren't cloning a specific
revision/tag/version. 'git clone' makes a clone (hence the name) of the
entire tree's history. Once you have a clone on your local disk, you
can then checkout _any_ version you want. You have *all* of them. This
is what 'git bisect' will be doing for you.

> working toward 3.8.3 which doesn't, and I have the disk space chowned
> to me, what is the exact syntax to pull a clone of 3.8.2, and then do
> a bisect to 3.8.3 where the microcode update for an AMD phenom doesn't
> work. Skipping fwd to 3.12.0 it still isn't working.

The version tags you are referring to are from the linux-stable tree, so
we'll clone that one instead of Linus'.

So, something like this:

$ git clone \
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git \
~/linux-stable

$ cd ~/linux-stable
$ git checkout v3.8.3
$ git bisect start
$ git bisect bad
$ git bisect good v3.8.2
$ ...

And now you iterate through as the manpage suggests, until it narrows it
down to a single commit. Once there, report to this list with '[BUG
BISECTED] ...' in the subject line.

hth,

Jason.