Re: commit e38c0a1f breaks powerpc boards with uli1575 chip

From: Scott Wood
Date: Thu Jan 02 2014 - 19:04:32 EST

On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 14:13 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-12-19 at 08:42 +0400, Nikita Yushchenko wrote:
> > No, this does not help.
> >
> > I've dumped the actual content of 'range' and 'addr' at the failure
> > point
> > (i.e. ar point that returns error with e38c0a1f but passes without
> > e38c0a1f ):
> >
> > OF: default map, cp=0, s=10000, da=70
> > range: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> > addr: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 70
>
> Something that has a #address-cells larger than 2, or more generally,
> an address field that contains more than a single number, must have
> a specific translation backend, like we have for PCI.
>
> This is a bit annoying but originates from the original OFW stuff on
> which this stuff is based where the bus node would provide the methods
> for translation.

I can maybe see that for PCI which has a special encoding, but why is it
always needed? E.g. if Freescale localbus had a 64-bit offset instead
of 32-bit, the child nodes would have 3 address cells, but
straightforward use of ranges would bring it down to 2 for the final
physical address. Existing localbus nodes already have "an address
field that contains more than a single number"; it's just a simple
enough encoding that it works to treat it as if it were a single large
number.

-Scott