Re: could you clarify mm/mempolicy: fix !vma in new_vma_page()

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Wed Jan 08 2014 - 05:09:25 EST

On Wed 08-01-14 08:56:44, Bob Liu wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 1:30 AM, Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I would be really curious when anon_vma or f_mapping would be out of
> >> sync, that's why I've asked in the first place.

> >> Hmm, ok !private shmem/hugetlbfs might be remapped as non-linear.
> >
> > OK, it didn't let go away from my head so I had to check. hugetlbfs
> > cannot be remmaped as non-linear because it is missing its vm_ops is
> > missing remap_pages implementation. So this case is impossible for these
> > pages. So at least the PageHuge part of the patch is bogus AFAICS.
> >
> > We still have shmem and even then I am curious whether we are doing the
> > right thing. The loop is inteded to handle range spanning multiple VMAs
> > (as per 3ad33b2436b54 (Migration: find correct vma in new_vma_page()))
> > and it doesn't seem to be VM_NONLINEAR aware. It will always fail for
> > shared shmem and so we always fallback to task/system default mempolicy.
> > Whether somebody uses mempolicy on VM_NONLINEAR mappings is hard to
> > tell. I am not familiar with this feature much.
> >
> > That being said. The BUG_ON(!vma) was bogus for VM_NONLINEAR cases.
> > The changed code could keep it for hugetlbfs path because we shouldn't
> > see NULL vma there AFAICS.
> >

> Sounds reasonable, but as your said we'd better find out the root
> cause before making any changes.
> Do you think below debug info is enough? If yes, then we can ask Sasha
> help us having a test.

If I was debugging this I would simply add printk into page_address_in_vma
error paths.

Anyway, I think that at least hugetlbfs part should be reverted because
it might paper over real bugs. Although the migration would fail for
such hugetlb page we should catch that a weird page was tried to be
migrated. What about the patch below?
---