Re: Idle power fix regresses ebizzy performance (was 3.12-stablebackport of NUMA balancing patches)

From: Len Brown
Date: Tue Jan 14 2014 - 02:31:34 EST

> This is a false alarm.

Thanks for the follow-up, Mel.

Agreed, it makes no sense for ebizzy measure 'throughput', when a
library debug bottleneck
prevents it from scaling past 3% CPU utilization.

Still, the broken configuration did find a difference due to the
addition of CLFLUSH on this box.
It makes me wonder if we will find issues on workloads that may depend
on the latency
of idle entry/exit, or perhaps sensitivity to the state of the cache
line containing thread_info->flags.

If somebody runs into such a workload, please try changing this 1 line
of intel_idle.c to limit
the CLFLUSH to C-states deeper than C1E, and let me know what you see.

- if (this_cpu_has(X86_FEATURE_CLFLUSH_MONITOR))
+ if ((eax > 1) && this_cpu_has(X86_FEATURE_CLFLUSH_MONITOR))
clflush((void *)&current_thread_info()->flags);

thanks,
Len Brown, Intel Open Source Technology Center