Re: [tip:x86/microcode] x86, microcode: Move to a proper location

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Jan 14 2014 - 11:10:50 EST

On 01/14/2014 05:58 AM, tip-bot for Borislav Petkov wrote:
> Commit-ID: bad5fa631fca5466401cd4a48e30cc1f1cb6101e
> Gitweb: http://git.kernel.org/tip/bad5fa631fca5466401cd4a48e30cc1f1cb6101e
> Author: Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxx>
> AuthorDate: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 18:09:58 +0100
> Committer: Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxx>
> CommitDate: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 20:00:12 +0100
>
> x86, microcode: Move to a proper location
>
> We've grown a bunch of microcode loader files all prefixed with
> "microcode_". They should be under cpu/ because this is strictly
> CPU-related functionality so do that and drop the prefix since they're
> in their own directory now which gives that prefix. :)
>
> While at it, drop MICROCODE_INTEL_LIB config item and stash the
> functionality under CONFIG_MICROCODE_INTEL as it was its only user.

Quite frankly I would be much happier if we didn't stash so much under
arch/x86/kernel/cpu ... quite frankly it feels like almost *anything*
could go under there. The microcode code, for example, could go under
its own subtree.

Both kernel and kernel/cpu really could use a house cleaning and
actually separate things out into better categories and avoid needlessly
deep pathnames.

-hpa