Re: [git pull] vfs pile 1

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Thu Jan 30 2014 - 08:07:21 EST

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 07:26:08PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> but the mode we're changing to (and what ATTR_MODE guards) is actually
> attr->ia_mode, not inode->i_mode. And quite frankly, passing in
> inode->i_mode looks stupid, since we're already passing in the inode
> pointer, so that's just redundant and pointless information.

At this point inode->i_mode has been updated to attra->ia_mode. Passing
in the mode allows fileystems to defer the i_mode update until after
the ACL has been modified, which at this point only f2fs does.

In a perfect world filesystems do both under the same lock for in-core
access and in an transaction for the on-disk change, in which case
the exact order doesn't matter.