Perf user-space ABI sequence lock memory barriers

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Tue Feb 04 2014 - 17:56:35 EST

Hi,

I'm currently integrating user-space performance counters from
Perf into LTTng-UST, and I'm noticing something odd regarding
the home-made sequence lock found at:

kernel/events/core.c: perf_event_update_userpage()

++userpg->lock;
barrier();
[...]
barrier();
++userpg->lock;

This goes in pair with something like this at user-level:

do {
seq = pc->lock;
barrier();

idx = pc->index;
count = pc->offset;
if (idx)
count += rdpmc(idx - 1);

barrier();
} while (pc->lock != seq);

As we see, only compiler barrier() are protecting all this.
First question, is it possible that the update be performed
by a thread running on a different CPU than the thread reading
the info in user-space ?

I would be tempted to use a volatile semantic on all reads of the
lock field (ACCESS_ONCE()). Secondly, read sequence locks usually use a
smp_rmb() at the end of the seqcount_begin(), and at the beginning
of the seqcount_retry(). Moreover, this is usually matched
by smp_wmb() in write_seqcount begin/end().

Am I missing something special about this lock that makes these
barriers unnecessary ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

--