Re: [patch 00/10] mm: thrash detection-based file cache sizing v9

From: Johannes Weiner
Date: Tue Feb 04 2014 - 21:03:09 EST

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 03:14:24PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 19:53:32 -0500 Johannes Weiner <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > o Fix vmstat build problems on UP (Fengguang Wu's build bot)
> >
> > o Clarify why optimistic radix_tree_node->private_list link checking
> > is safe without holding the list_lru lock (Dave Chinner)
> >
> > o Assert locking balance when the list_lru isolator says it dropped
> > the list lock (Dave Chinner)
> >
> > o Remove remnant of a manual reclaim counter in the shadow isolator,
> > the list_lru-provided accounting is accurate now that we added
> > LRU_REMOVED_RETRY (Dave Chinner)
> >
> > o Set an object limit for the shadow shrinker instead of messing with
> > its seeks setting. The configured seeks define how pressure applied
> > to pages translates to pressure on the object pool, in itself it is
> > not enough to replace proper object valuation to classify expired
> > and in-use objects. Shadow nodes contain up to 64 shadow entries
> > from different/alternating zones that have their own atomic age
> > counter, so determining if a node is overall expired is crazy
> > expensive. Instead, use an object limit above which nodes are very
> > likely to be expired.
> >
> > o __pagevec_lookup and __find_get_pages kerneldoc fixes (Minchan Kim)
> >
> > o radix_tree_node->count accessors for pages and shadows (Minchan Kim)
> >
> > o Rebase to v3.14-rc1 and add review tags
>
> An earlier version caused a 24-byte inode bloatage. That appears to
> have been reduced to 8 bytes, yes? What was done there?

Instead of inodes, the shrinker now directly tracks radix tree nodes
that contain only shadow entries. So the 16 bytes for the list_head
are now in struct radix_tree_node, but due to different slab packing
it didn't increase memory consumption.

> > 69 files changed, 1438 insertions(+), 462 deletions(-)
>
> omigod

Most of it is comments and Minchan's accessor functions.