Re: ip_set: protocol %u message -- useful?

From: Jozsef Kadlecsik
Date: Thu Feb 13 2014 - 05:37:33 EST

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014, Ilia Mirkin wrote:

> I've recently noticed a lot of
>
> [356872.380595] ip_set: protocol 6

That means the ip_set module has been loaded in multiple times.

> messages in my dmesg. This might be because of some local
> configuration changes I've made, or perhaps a kernel upgrade. Either
> way, it appears this message has been a pr_notice since the original
> code added it in a7b4f989a62 ("netfilter: ipset: IP set core
> support").
>
> Does this message provide a lot of value? Or could it be made into a pr_debug?

That's a report message on the protocol version used by the ipset
subsystem. There was (and possibly will be) multiple protocols, so it
helps to catch basic userpsace/kernelspace communication issues.

> FWIW commit 1785e8f473 ("netfiler: ipset: Add net namespace for
> ipset"), merged in v3.13-rc1 changed the code around which may have
> made it more likely to appear in dmesg (with the namespace stuff). Not
> sure though. I don't (purposely) use namespaces.

Namespaces can explain why you see the message so many times, but then you
must have namespaces activated.

> I'm happy to put together a patch demoting it to pr_debug if people
> think it's OK.

I'm fine with it, it's OK.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary