Re: mm: NULL ptr deref in balance_dirty_pages_ratelimited

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Wed Feb 26 2014 - 10:48:00 EST

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 05:20:51PM +0200, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:48:30PM +0800, Bob Liu wrote:
> > > Do you relay on unlock_page() to have a compiler barrier?
> > >

> > Before your commit mapping is a local variable and be assigned before
> > unlock_page():
> > struct address_space *mapping = page->mapping;
> > unlock_page(dirty_page);
> > put_page(dirty_page);
> > if ((dirtied || page_mkwrite) && mapping) {
> >

> > I'm afraid now "fault_page->mapping" might be changed to NULL after
> > "if ((dirtied || vma->vm_ops->page_mkwrite) && fault_page->mapping) {"
> > and then passed down to balance_dirty_pages_ratelimited(NULL).
>
> I see what you try to fix. I wounder if we need to do
>
> mapping = ACCESS_ONCE(fault_page->mapping);
>
> instead.
>
> The question is if compiler on its own can eliminate intermediate variable
> and dereference fault_page->mapping twice, as code with my patch does.
> I ask because smp_mb__after_clear_bit() in unlock_page() does nothing on
> some architectures.

That's a bug, and I have patches for that. That said; this is only ia64
and sparc32. ia64 has an actual full memory barrier in there very much
including a compiler fence. And sparc32 atomics do too.

In general, any atomic RMW op also implies a compiler fence. This
includes clear_bit().

That said; unlock_page() should have RELEASE semantics, this too
enforces that the read of page->mapping stay before the unlock_page().
The second usage of mapping may leak into the locked region, but it may
not re-read after.