Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the char-misc tree

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Thu Feb 27 2014 - 00:48:52 EST

Hi Greg,

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:37:16 -0800 Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 05:47:21PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:47:11 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > After merging the char-misc tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
> > > allmodconfig) failed like this:
> > >
> > > In file included from drivers/misc/mei/hw-txe.c:25:0:
> > > drivers/misc/mei/hw-txe.h:63:1: error: unknown type name 'irqreturn_t'
> > > irqreturn_t mei_txe_irq_quick_handler(int irq, void *dev_id);
> > > ^
> > >
> > > Caused by commit 266f6178d1f1 ("mei: txe: add hw-txe.h header file") but
> > > probably exposed by commit 46cb7b1bd86f ("PCI: Remove unused SR-IOV VF
> > > Migration support") from the pci tree which removed the include of
> > > irqreturn.h from pci.h ...
> > >
> > > See Rule 1 from Documentation/SubmitChecklist ...
> > >
> > > I added the following merge fix patch (this should be applied to the
> > > char-misc tree):
> >
> > Ping?
>
> I've merged everything together, and it all builds properly for me in
> the char-misc branches, so I don't see what is missing. What did I do
> wrong?

Nothing, your tree is fine, except when merged with the pci tree. There
is a commit in the pci tree that removed the include of irqreturn.h from
pci.h, thus exposing that drivers/misc/mei/hw-txe.c did not include
irqreturn.h directly despite using stuff from there (similarly for
hw-txe.h). My patch is just a "quality of implementation" thing in your
tree at the moment, but applying it to your tree will save doing the
semantic merge conflict fixup in linux-next and later in Linus' tree when
your tree and the pci tree meet there.

i.e. it does not hurt your tree to apply it and will save is forgetting
later.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx