Re: mm: kernel BUG at mm/huge_memory.c:2785!

From: Sasha Levin
Date: Wed Mar 05 2014 - 23:44:43 EST

On 03/05/2014 08:52 AM, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
Sasha Levin wrote:
On 02/27/2014 10:03 AM, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
Sasha Levin wrote:
Hi all,

While fuzzing with trinity inside a KVM tools guest running latest -next kernel I've stumbled on the
following spew:

[ 1428.146261] kernel BUG at mm/huge_memory.c:2785!
Hm, interesting.

It seems we either failed to split huge page on vma split or it
materialized from under us. I don't see how it can happen:

- it seems we do the right thing with vma_adjust_trans_huge() in
__split_vma();
- we hold ->mmap_sem all the way from vm_munmap(). At least I don't see
a place where we could drop it;

Andrea, any ideas?

And a somewhat related issue (please correct me if I'm wrong):

Yeah. Looks similar. And I still have no idea how it could happened.

Do you trinity logs for the crash?

I can't get it to reproduce with trinity logging enabled, I guess it makes it harder for
the race to occur.

I'll keep it running through the night but don't really have high hopes.

Thanks,
Sasha