Re: [patch v3]DM: dm-insitu-comp: a compressed DM target for SSD

From: Mike Snitzer
Date: Mon Mar 10 2014 - 09:56:56 EST

On Fri, Mar 07 2014 at 2:57am -0500,
Shaohua Li <shli@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ping!

Hi,

I intend to get dm-insitu-comp reviewed for 3.15. Sorry I haven't
gotten back with you before now, been busy tending to 3.14-rc issues.

I took a quick first pass over your code a couple weeks ago. Looks to
be in great shape relative to coding conventions and the more DM
specific conventions. Clearly demonstrates you have a good command of
DM concepts and quirks.

But one thing that would really help get dm-insitu-comp into 3.15 is to
show that the code is working as you'd expect. To that end, it'd be
great if you'd be willing to add dm-insitu-comp support to the
device-mapper-test-suite, see:
https://github.com/jthornber/device-mapper-test-suite

I recently added barebones/simple dm-crypt support, see:
https://github.com/jthornber/device-mapper-test-suite/commit/c865bcd4e48228e18626d94327fb2485cf9ec9a1

But It may be that activation/test code for the other targets (e.g. thin
or cache) are more useful examples to follow for implemnting
dm-insitu-comp stack activation, see:
https://github.com/jthornber/device-mapper-test-suite/blob/master/lib/dmtest/pool-stack.rb
https://github.com/jthornber/device-mapper-test-suite/blob/master/lib/dmtest/cache_stack.rb

All said, implementing dm-insitu-comp support for dmts (including some
tests that establish it is working as intended) isn't a hard requirement
for getting the target upstream but it would _really_ help.

Mike