Re: [x86, vdso] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at d34bd000

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Mon Mar 10 2014 - 13:47:22 EST

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:38 AM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Wait... you want to do what?!
>>
>> This isn't even my idea:
>>
>> commit 8fb402bccf203ecca8f9e0202b8fd3c937dece6f
>> Author: Erik Bosman <ebn310@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Fri Apr 11 18:54:17 2008 +0200
>>
>> generic, x86: add prctl commands PR_GET_TSC and PR_SET_TSC
>>
>> This patch adds prctl commands that make it possible
>> to deny the execution of timestamp counters in userspace.
>> If this is not implemented on a specific architecture,
>> prctl will return -EINVAL.
>>
>> Currently anything that tries to use the vdso will just crash if you
>> do that, and it fails to turn off direct HPET access. Fixing this
>> might be nice, but the current vvar implementation makes it
>> impossible. If you want to stick something in a seccomp sandbox and
>> make it very difficult for it to exploit timing side channels, then
>> this is important :)
>>

> Yes, we'd have to switch the vdso to using syscall access. Doing that
> from inside a system call is... "interesting".

It's a little less interesting if it just involves changing a vma.
It's still tricky, though -- would each struct mm have its own struct
file for the vvar page? Can this be done with some
vm_operations_struct magic? There are possible races, too, though --
another thread could access the thing concurrently with a syscall.

It might be nice in general for there to be a /dev/vdso and for the
vdso to literally be a mapping of that device node. I bet that CRIU
would appreciate this. (The mmap flags would be a little odd, since
different pages have different protections.)

Anyway, this is totally off topic for the current issue :)

--Andy