Re: serial core: crash / race condition on unbind

From: Peter Hurley
Date: Tue Mar 11 2014 - 18:59:32 EST

On 03/11/2014 11:35 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Peter Hurley <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/11/2014 06:58 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 4:14 AM, Peter Hurley <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

[...]

/*
* Indicate that there isn't a port here anymore.
*/
uport->type = PORT_UNKNOWN;

state->uart_port = NULL;

How did this ever work?

Detaching the ll driver from the tty port in this manner is not ok;
as you already note, it blows up if consoles are still running.

No one unbinds serial drivers using serial_core, as all these drivers are
for fixed hardware?

Yep, never tested until now :)
Do you need this to work?

Well, "need" may be a bit strong. Crashes are not so nice.

:)

What I meant was, 'is this a debug situation that I can eventually get to?'
or 'are you on the verge of shipping product and this is a priority?'

Regards,
Peter Hurley