Re: v3.14-rc1+: new error: "nsc-ircc, Wrong chip version ff"

From: BjÃrn Mork
Date: Tue Mar 18 2014 - 10:01:18 EST

Paul Bolle <pebolle@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Rafael,
>
> 0) Ever since v3.14-rc1 I've noticed two new boot messages on an,
> outdated, ThinkPad X41:
> nsc-ircc, Found chip at base=0x164e
> nsc-ircc, Wrong chip version ff

Looks like that driver calls request_region for its "fir_base" IO ports
too late.

Parts of nsc_ircc_open:

..
IRDA_MESSAGE("%s, Found chip at base=0x%03x\n", driver_name,
info->cfg_base);

if ((nsc_ircc_setup(info)) == -1)
return -1;

=> fails while attempting to write to info->fir_base + 3 and then read
from info->fir_base + 0

..
/* Initialize IO */
self->io.cfg_base = info->cfg_base;
self->io.fir_base = info->fir_base;
self->io.irq = info->irq;
self->io.fir_ext = CHIP_IO_EXTENT;
self->io.dma = info->dma;
self->io.fifo_size = 32;

/* Reserve the ioports that we need */
ret = request_region(self->io.fir_base, self->io.fir_ext, driver_name);

Maybe reorder this a bit, requesting the fir_base IO ports before
calling nsc_ircc_setup? You'll have to reorder the error cleanups too.

> The first is printed at info level, so I would have ignored it, but the
> second is printed at error level.
>
> 1) I've finally managed to bisect these messages to commit 202317a573b2
> ("ACPI / scan: Add acpi_device objects for all device nodes in the
> namespace"). That's a rather big commit, so I've not even bothered to
> try to revert it on top on v3.14-rc6.

My guess is that you've got some pnp device now claiming the FIR IO
ports. cat /proc/ioports may help you find out what to look for?

BjÃrn