Re: [BUG] Paravirtual time accounting / IRQ time accounting

From: Glauber Costa
Date: Thu Mar 20 2014 - 11:01:35 EST

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 6:42 AM, <lwcheng@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In consolidated environments, when there are multiple virtual machines (VMs)
> running on one CPU core, timekeeping will be a problem to the guest OS.
> Here, I report my findings about Linux process scheduler.
>

> Description
> ------------
> Linux CFS relies on rq->clock_task to charge each task, determine vruntime,
> etc.
>
> When CONFIG_IRQ_TIME_ACCOUNTING is enabled, the time spent on serving IRQ
> will be excluded from updating rq->clock_task.
> When CONFIG_PARAVIRT_TIME_ACCOUNTING is enabled, the time stolen by the
> hypervisor
> will also be excluded from updating rq->clock_task.
>
> With "both" CONFIG_IRQ_TIME_ACCOUNTING and CONFIG_PARAVIRT_TIME_ACCOUNTING
> enabled,
> I put three KVM guests on one core and run hackbench in each guest. I find
> that
> in the guests, rq->clock_task stays *unchanged*. The malfunction embarrasses
> CFS.
> ------------
>

> Analysis
> ------------
> [src/kernel/sched/core.c]
> static void update_rq_clock_task(struct rq *rq, s64 delta)
> {
> ... ...
> #ifdef CONFIG_IRQ_TIME_ACCOUNTING
> irq_delta = irq_time_read(cpu_of(rq)) - rq->prev_irq_time;
> ... ...
> rq->prev_irq_time += irq_delta;
> delta -= irq_delta;
> #endif
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_PARAVIRT_TIME_ACCOUNTING
> if (static_key_false((&paravirt_steal_rq_enabled))) {
> steal = paravirt_steal_clock(cpu_of(rq));
> steal -= rq->prev_steal_time_rq;
> ... ...
> rq->prev_steal_time_rq += steal;
> delta -= steal;
> }
> #endif
>
> rq->clock_task += delta;
> ... ...
> }
> --
> "delta" -> the intended increment to rq->clock_task
> "irq_delta" -> the time spent on serving IRQ (hard + soft)
> "steal" -> the time stolen by the underlying hypervisor
> --
> "irq_delta" is calculated based on sched_clock_cpu(), which is vulnerable
> to VM scheduling delays.

This looks like a real problem indeed. The main problem in searching
for a solution, is that of course not all of the irq time is steal
time and vice versa. In this case, we could subtract irq_time from
steal, and add only the steal part time that is in excess. I don't
think this is 100 % guaranteed, but maybe it is a good approximation.

Rik, do you have an opinion on this ?