RE: Bug 71331 - mlock yields processor to lower priority process

From: jimmie.davis
Date: Fri Mar 21 2014 - 10:51:29 EST

From: Mike Galbraith [umgwanakikbuti@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 9:41 AM
To: Davis, Bud @ SSG - Link
Cc: oneukum@xxxxxxx; artem_fetishev@xxxxxxxx; peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; kosaki.motohiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Bug 71331 - mlock yields processor to lower priority process

On Fri, 2014-03-21 at 14:01 +0000, jimmie.davis@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If you call mlock () from a SCHED_FIFO task, you expect it to return
> when done. You don't expect it to block, and your task to be
> pre-empted.

Say some of your pages are sitting in an nfs swapfile orbiting Neptune,
how do they get home, and what should we do meanwhile?

-Mike

Two options.

#1. Return with a status value of EAGAIN.

or

#2. Don't return until you can do it.

If SCHED_FIFO is used, and mlock() is called, the intention of the user is very clear. Run this task until
it is completed or it blocks (and until a bit ago, mlock() did not block).

SCHED_FIFO users don't care about fairness. They want the system to do what it is told.

regards,
Bud Davis