Re: Linux 3.14-rc8

From: Dave Jones
Date: Tue Mar 25 2014 - 04:39:40 EST

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 07:40:06PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I delayed things a day from my normal schedule, hoping I'd feel more
> comfortable doing a 3.14 release, but that was not to be. So here's an
> rc8, and I expect to do the final 3.14 release next weekend.
>
> There wasn't that much scary stuff going on, but there's a few vfs
> fixes still pending, and we did end up having some interesting core
> fixes last week too (not new regressions, but newly detected by
> Trinity. Kudos to Hugh Dickins for figuring them out and fixing the
> causes). There's also some networking fixes and random noise (mainly
> MIPS). So I really wanted another week before release after all.

FWIW, since Hugh's heroic work nailing those bugs, I've managed to run
trinity for days since without problems[1]. As we discussed today at the VM summit,
Sasha has found a bunch of things in -next that may be a problem in .14 too,
(and in fact I've hit one of those BUGONs once), but on the whole it's looking
a lot better.

Dave

[1] Actually, I've since crashed my test box for stupid reasons now that
I'm 3000 miles away from it until the end of the week, but I have a way better
opinion of rc8 than I did of rc7.

Dave