Re: mechanism to allow a driver to bind to any device

From: Kim Phillips
Date: Mon Mar 31 2014 - 18:32:36 EST

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 20:23:36 +0000
Stuart Yoder <stuart.yoder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

In platform device land, we don't want to pursue the
new_id/match-by-compatible methodology: we know exactly which specific
device (not device types) we want bound to which driver, so we just
want to be able to simply:

echo fff51000.ethernet | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/platform/devices/fff51000.ethernet/driver/unbind
echo fff51000.ethernet | sudo tee -a /sys/bus/platform/drivers/vfio-platform/bind

and not get involved with how PCI "doesn't simply do that," independent
of autoprobe/hotplug.

Kim