Re: [GIT PULL] please pull file locking changes for 3.15

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Apr 04 2014 - 17:28:32 EST

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 6:31 AM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The following changes since commit 29723adee11804b548903ddb1db666cf4a60f60e:
>
> locks: make locks_mandatory_area check for file-private locks (2014-03-31 08:24:43 -0400)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
> git://git.samba.org/jlayton/linux.git locks-3.15

Please please please use the proper scripts (or improve on whatever
local script you use) that show the diffstat ("git diff -M --stat
--summary") and shortlog for the pull request too.

I want to know roughly what I'm pulling *before* I pull it, and while
I can do a two-stage thing where I first fetch-and-inspect it, that's
annoying. Your human-readable "Highlights" thing is good, and I want
that too (I put commentary like that into the merge commit itself),
but I do want that diffstat/shortlog in addition to the human-readable
summary.

Because having the diffstat in the pull request email not only gets me
a heasd-up abotu what to expect, it also confirms that I'm on the same
page as you are. It acts as a sanity-check for me when I can compare
the diffstat you *claim* I should get with the diffstat I actually get
after merging. So I really want to get that diffstat and shortlog as a
sanity check.

I also would prefer signed tags. It's not a must since it's not like
git.samba.org is some random public site (I do _require_ them for pull
requests from github etc), but it's definitely a "good thing" to have.

Anyway, I'm going through my pile of filesystem pull requests, and
I've pulled this into my tree. I'm just going through allmodconfig
builds etc before pushing my merge out, so assuming that all works
fine you don't need to resend this one. But for future pull requests,
please do try to fix the above up.

Linus