Re: sched_{set,get}attr() manpage

From: Juri Lelli
Date: Thu Apr 10 2014 - 03:47:34 EST

Hi all,

On Wed, 9 Apr 2014 17:42:04 +0200
Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Scheduling Policies
> > > The scheduler is the kernel component that decides which runnable
> > > process will be executed by the CPU next. Each process has an associâ
> > > ated scheduling policy and a static scheduling priority, sched_priorâ
> > > ity; these are the settings that are modified by sched_setscheduler().
> > > The scheduler makes it decisions based on knowledge of the scheduling
> > > policy and static priority of all processes on the system.
> >
> > Isn't this last sentence redundant/sliglhtly repetitive?
>
> I borrowed that from SCHED_SETSCHEDULER(2) again.
>
> > > SCHED_DEADLINE: Sporadic task model deadline scheduling
> > > SCHED_DEADLINE is an implementation of GEDF (Global Earliest
> > > Deadline First) with additional CBS (Constant Bandwidth Server).
> > > The CBS guarantees that tasks that over-run their specified
> > > budget are throttled and do not affect the correct performance
> > > of other SCHED_DEADLINE tasks.
> > >
> > > SCHED_DEADLINE tasks will fail FORK(2) with -EAGAIN
> > >
> > > Setting SCHED_DEADLINE can fail with -EINVAL when admission
> > > control tests fail.
> >
> > Perhaps add a note about the deadline-class having higher priority than the
> > other classes; i.e. if a deadline-task is runnable, it will preempt any
> > other SCHED_(RR|FIFO) regardless of priority?
>
> Yes, good point, will do.
>
> > > SCHED_FIFO: First In-First Out scheduling
> > > SCHED_FIFO can only be used with static priorities higher than 0, which
> > > means that when a SCHED_FIFO processes becomes runnable, it will always
> > > immediately preempt any currently running SCHED_OTHER, SCHED_BATCH, or
> > > SCHED_IDLE process. SCHED_FIFO is a simple scheduling algorithm withâ
> > > out time slicing. For processes scheduled under the SCHED_FIFO policy,
> > > the following rules apply:
> > >
> > > * A SCHED_FIFO process that has been preempted by another process of
> > > higher priority will stay at the head of the list for its priority
> > > and will resume execution as soon as all processes of higher priorâ
> > > ity are blocked again.
> > >
> > > * When a SCHED_FIFO process becomes runnable, it will be inserted at
> > > the end of the list for its priority.
> > >
> > > * A call to sched_setscheduler() or sched_setparam(2) will put the
> > > SCHED_FIFO (or SCHED_RR) process identified by pid at the start of
> > > the list if it was runnable. As a consequence, it may preempt the
> > > currently running process if it has the same priority.
> > > (POSIX.1-2001 specifies that the process should go to the end of the
> > > list.)
> > >
> > > * A process calling sched_yield(2) will be put at the end of the list.
> >
> > How about the recent discussion regarding sched_yield(). Is this correct?
> >
> > lkml.kernel.org/r/alpine.DEB.2.02.1403312333100.14882@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > Is this the correct place to add a note explaining te potentional pitfalls
> > using sched_yield?
>
> I'm not sure; there's a SCHED_YIELD(2) manpage to fill with that
> nonsense.
>
> Also; I realized I have not described the DEADLINE sched_yield()

So, for SCHED_DEADLINE we currently have this behaviour:

/*
* Yield task semantic for -deadline tasks is:
*
* get off from the CPU until our next instance, with
* a new runtime. This is of little use now, since we
* don't have a bandwidth reclaiming mechanism. Anyway,
* bandwidth reclaiming is planned for the future, and
* yield_task_dl will indicate that some spare budget
* is available for other task instances to use it.
*/

But, considering also the discussion above, I'm less sure now that's
what we want. Still, I think we will want some way in the future to be
able to say "I'm finished with my current job, give this remaining
runtime to someone else", like another syscall or something.

Thanks,

- Juri