Re: Cryogenic: Enabling Power-Aware Applications on Linux

From: Christian Grothoff
Date: Fri Apr 11 2014 - 14:48:25 EST

On 04/11/2014 12:19 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Cryogenic is the result of my Master's Thesis, completed at the Technical University
>> of Munich under the supervision of Christian Grothoff. You can find more information
>> about Cryogenic at https://gnunet.org/cryogenic
>
> Do you have any measurements how much power it actually saves?

Yes, it depends on the device, but we have demonstrated power
savings for two different types of devices using two different
measurement setups performed by two independent groups. Some
of the measurements are available on the website, the second
set should become available "soon" (but we can already say that
for the scenario we measured, the savings are in the same range
as before).

> What would be cool for phones....

Yes, that's largely the point.

> "I'd like to download my mails from IMAP server in next 30
> minutes. But... it would be better done when I'm on 3G network with
> good signal (0.01W transmit power used for 3 seconds) than on GPRS
> with poor signal (2W transmit power for 4 minutes)..."

Well, that's not quite what the API would allow, especially as it
is obviously hard to predict that a different network will become
available.