Linux 3.15-rc1 out, merge window closed

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Apr 13 2014 - 19:05:30 EST

It's been two weeks since 3.14 was released, and -rc1 of 3.15 is now
tagged and pushed out, and the patches and tar-balls are going through
the compressors on kernel.org as I write this. Which means that the
merge window is closed, and people should send me fixes only.

And quite frankly, it's about time. This release doesn't really have a
lot of odd things going on, but it's *big*. Sure, we've had releases
with more files and lines changed (3.7-rc1 and 3.11-rc1 in
particular), but those tended to have something particular going on
(3.7-rc1 saw the largely automated UAPI header file disintegration,
and 3.11 saw the bug staging lustre merge).

In comparison to those large releases, 3.15-rc1 is just big in
general. No single big thing, but just lots and lots of commits. Sure,
it has a few big new staging drivers (rtl8723au in particular), but
even when big, those aren't nearly the bulk of things. There's just a
lot going on

In fact, we have the biggest number of commits in recent history
(maybe ever), at just over 12000 non-merge commits (and about 800
merges).

And it really is all over the map. The bulk is driver changes, at
about three quarters of the actual patch. Staging shows up pretty
prominently, but it's really all over the driver map, with networking,
sound, media, gpu, block drivers..)

But there's tons of non-driver stuff too. Outside of the driver
subdirectories, architecture updates account for about half the
changes (with ARM leading the way, largely due to device-tree
descriptors, but there's mips, x86, powerpc, s390, blackfin..). And
the rest is pretty varied too, with core networking, documentation,
kernel, mm, tools etc.

So while drivers and architecture updates are the bulk of it, we
really do have a lot of core changes too.

Anyway, even more than usual, the -rc1 is much too big to include a
shortlog of all commits. But the shortlog of merges I've done might
give at least some overview of all the changes. As usual, the people
credited in the mergelog are the maintainers I pull from, not the
developers that wrote the code. You can see that in the full git logs.

Anyway, because -rc1 is already pretty darn big, I do *not* want to
hear about "sorry this missed the window, can I still sneak in". Fixes
only.

The only exception to that is a couple of pending things that came in
during the merge window, but were explicitly delayed. So we do have a
fbdev file movement pending (I'll do the file movement after -rc1 just
to make things easier to see in the history and not mix up movement
with development). And there was one namespaces/mounting pull request
that I didn't pull, but that might still make it in after some more
commentary/work. That will *probably* be delayed 3.16, but we'll see
how much TLC that thing needs..

Linus

---

Al Viro (1):
vfs updates

Alex Williamson (1):
VFIO updates

Andrew Morton (3):
first patch-bomb
second patch-bomb
a few more patches

Arnd Bergmann (8):
ARM SoC non-critical bug fixes
ARM SoC cleanups
ARM SoC specific changes
ARM SoC board changes
ARM SoC device tree changes
ARM SoC driver changes
ARM SoC sh driver change
ARM SoC late cleanups

Artem Bityutskiy (1):
ubifs updates

Behan Webster (1):
llvm patches

Ben Herrenschmidt (3):
main powerpc updates
powerpc non-virtualized cpuidle
more powerpc updates

Ben LaHaise (1):
aio ctx->ring_pages migration serialization fix

Bjorn Helgaas (1):
PCI changes

Boaz Harrosh (1):
exofs updates

Borislav Petkov (1):
EDAC updates

Brian Norris (1):
MTD updates

Bruce Fields (1):
nfsd updates

Bryan Wu (1):
LED updates

Catalin Marinas (2):
ARM64 updates
second set of arm64 updates

Chris Ball (1):
MMC updates

Chris Mason (2):
btrfs changes
second set of btrfs updates

Chris Metcalf (1):
arch/tile updates

Dan Williams (1):
async SCSI resume support

Dave Airlie (1):
drm updates

Dave Chinner (1):
xfs update

David Miller (3):
networking updates
more networking updates
yet more networking updates

David Teigland (1):
dlm updates

David Vrabel (2):
Xen features and fixes
Xen build fix

Dmitry Torokhov (1):
input updates

Eric Paris (1):
audit updates

Eric Van Hensbergen (1):
9p changes

Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
m68k updates

Grant Likely (1):
devicetree changes

Greg KH (6):
char/misc driver patches
driver core and sysfs updates
staging driver updates
tty/serial driver update
USB patches
more staging patches

Greg Ungerer (1):
m68k fixes

Guenter Roeck (2):
hwmon updates
second round of hwmon updates

Hans-Christian Egtvedt (1):
AVR32 updates

Heiko Carstens (1):
s390 compat wrapper rework

Herbert Xu (1):
crypto updates

Ingo Molnar (21):
core locking updates
RCU updates
hweight type fix
perf changes
scheduler changes
x86 acpi numa fix
x86 apic changes
x86 build change
x86 cleanups
x86 cpu handling changes
x86 debug cleanup
x86 EFI changes
x86 hashing changes
x86 hyperv change
x86 kaslr update
x86 mm change
x86 reboot changes
x86 cpufeature update
timer updates
x86 threadinfo changes
sched/idle changes

Jaegeuk Kim (1):
f2fs updates

James Bottomley (1):
first round of SCSI updates

James Hogan (1):
Metag architecture changes

James Morris (1):
security subsystem updates

Jan Kara (1):
ext3 improvements, cleanups, reiserfs fix

Jean Delvare (1):
hwmon updates

Jeff Layton (1):
file locking updates

Jens Axboe (3):
core block layer updates
block driver update
block layer fixes

Jiri Kosina (2):
trivial tree updates
HID updates

Joerg Roedel (1):
IOMMU upates

Jon Mason (1):
PCIe non-transparent bridge fixes and features

Lee Jones (2):
MFD updates
backlight changes

Linus Walleij (2):
pin control bulk changes
bulk of gpio updates

Marek Szyprowski (1):
DMA-mapping updates

Mark Brown (6):
regmap updates
regulator updates
spi Updates
regmap fix
regulator fixes
spi fixes

Martin Schwidefsky (2):
s390 updates
second set of s390 patches

Matthew Garrett (1):
x86 platform driver updates

Matthew Wilcox (1):
NVMe driver updates

Mauro Carvalho Chehab (4):
sb_edac patches
media updates
exynos media updates
media fixes

Michal Marek (2):
kbuild changes
misc kbuild changes

Michal Simek (1):
Microblaze updates

Mike Snitzer (1):
device mapper changes

Mike Turquette (1):
clock framework changes

Miklos Szeredi (2):
renameat2 system call
fuse update

Neil Brown (1):
md updates

Nicholas Bellinger (1):
SCSI target updates

Ohad Ben-Cohen (1):
remoteproc cleanups

Paolo Bonzini (1):
kvm updates

Pekka Enberg (1):
slab changes

Peter Anvin (6):
x86 LTO changes
x86 boot changes
x86 vdso changes
compat time conversion changes
x86 old platform removal
x86 fixes

Rafael Wysocki (4):
ACPI and power management updates
more ACPI and power management updates
CPU hotplug notifiers registration fixes
more ACPI and power management fixes and updates

Ralf Baechle (1):
MIPS updates

Richard Kuo (1):
Hexagon updates