Re: How do I increment a per-CPU variable without warning?

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Wed Apr 16 2014 - 01:22:03 EST

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 08:54:19PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> But falling back on the old ways of doing this at least looks a bit
> nicer:
>
> static inline bool rcu_should_resched(void)
> {
> int t;
> int *tp = &per_cpu(rcu_cond_resched_count, raw_smp_processor_id());
>
> t = ACCESS_ONCE(*tp) + 1;
> if (t < RCU_COND_RESCHED_LIM) {

<here>

> ACCESS_ONCE(*tp) = t;
> return false;
> }
> return true;
> }
>
> Other thoughts?

Still broken, if A starts out on CPU1, gets migrated to CPU0 at <here>,
then B starts the same on CPU1. It is possible for both CPU0 and CPU1 to
write a different value into your rcu_cond_resched_count.

You really want to disable preemption around there. The proper old way
would've been get_cpu_var()/put_cpu_var().