Re: Microblaze image hanging in qemu with 3.15-rc

From: Michal Simek
Date: Thu Apr 24 2014 - 02:17:48 EST

On 04/23/2014 05:45 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 04:12:59PM +0200, Michal Simek wrote:

>>> BE.
>>>
>>> file vmlinux:
>>>
>>> vmlinux: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, BuildID[sha1]=5e1872c08df2956eddaed6fc1f6528a8540375b7, not stripped
>>>
>>> qemu-system-microblaze --version:
>>>
>>> QEMU emulator version 1.7.0, Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard
>>>
>>> gcc --version:
>>>
>>> microblaze-linux-gcc (GCC) 4.8.0
>>> Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
>>> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

>>> Is this new code ? I didn't see the problem in 3.13 (same compile options,
>>> same configuration, same compiler, same qemu version).
>>
>> yes it was added to 3.15-rc1.
>>
>> Try to rever this one
>> a66a626 microblaze: Use asm-generic/io.h
>>
>> but the problem is probably here because you are not getting proper
>> reaction from qemu model.
>> a1715bb microblaze: Make timer driver endian aware
>> 1aa1243 microblaze: Make intc driver endian aware
>>
>> I have tested it on the latest petalinux qemu and there shouldn't be
>> any problem.
>>
> Hi Michal,
>
> qemu 2.0.0 still has the problem. Bisect points to
>
> commit a66a626538af65cbfc611e2b2fce500ed3f24518
> Author: Michal Simek <michal.simek@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu Feb 7 15:12:24 2013 +0100
>
> microblaze: Use asm-generic/io.h
>
> as the culprit, so you were right on the money. Reverting this commit
> fixes the problem.

yep. But it is just side effect of previous two commits I have mentioned.
Can you just please check if you are setting up correct IO functions?

write_fn = timer_write32;
read_fn = timer_read32;

write_fn(TCSR_MDT, timer_baseaddr + TCSR0);
if (!(read_fn(timer_baseaddr + TCSR0) & TCSR_MDT)) {
write_fn = timer_write32_be;
read_fn = timer_read32_be;
}
git

> Assuming this is in fact a problem with qemu, can you point me to a set
> of qemu patches necessary to fix it ? Also, do you know if there are plans
> to send the patches upstream ? I don't find anything related in the qemu
> repository (though of course I may have missed it).

Yes, it should be qemu issue. I am not aware about particular qemu patches
but you can try to use https://github.com/Xilinx/qemu
but now sure if Peter updating this repository.

Anyway if you look at code above and I expect that the problem is just
that autodetection is broken in your qemu it should be pretty simple
to fix it.

Thanks,
Michal

--
Michal Simek, Ing. (M.Eng), OpenPGP -> KeyID: FE3D1F91
w: www.monstr.eu p: +42-0-721842854