[patch 0/2] A few simplifications for softdirty memory tracker code

From: Cyrill Gorcunov
Date: Fri Apr 25 2014 - 04:21:26 EST

Hi, here are a few simplifications for softdirty memory tracker code, in
particular we dropped off x86-32 support since it seems noone needed it
here on x86 platform.

As Andrew requested I've rebased patches on top of current linux-next repo.

Also at first I wanted to rip off _PAGE_PSE bit which we use in swap ptes
to track dirty status of swapped pages and reuse _PAGE_BIT_SOFT_DIRTY
instead. It's still possible but requires additional shrinking of
maximal swap size and I don't know if it's acceptible or not. Currently
we have

#ifdef CONFIG_NUMA_BALANCING
/* Automatic NUMA balancing needs to be distinguishable from swap entries */
#define SWP_OFFSET_SHIFT (_PAGE_BIT_PROTNONE + 2)
#else
#define SWP_OFFSET_SHIFT (_PAGE_BIT_PROTNONE + 1)
#endif

If I reuse _PAGE_BIT_SOFT_DIRTY I'll have to increase this shift up
to bit 11, which, again, I think is too much, right?

Comments are highly appreciated!

Cyrill