Re: random: Providing a seed value to VM guests

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Thu May 01 2014 - 16:17:08 EST

On May 1, 2014 12:26 PM, <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 12:02:49PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> >
> > Is RDSEED really reasonable here? Won't it slow down by several
> > orders of magnitude?
>
> That is I think the biggest problem; RDRAND and RDSEED are fast if
> they are native, but they will involve a VM exit if they need to be
> emulated. So when an OS might want to use RDRAND and RDSEED might be
> quite different if we know they are being emulated.
>
> Using the RDRAND and RDSEED "api" certainly makes sense, at least for
> x86, but I suspect we might want to use a different way of signalling
> that a VM guest can use RDRAND and RDSEED if they are running on a CPU
> which doesn't provide that kind of access. Maybe a CPUID extended
> function parameter, if one could be allocated for use by a Linux
> hypervisor?

I'm still not convinced. This will affect userspace as well as the
guest kernel, and I don't see why guest user code should be able to
access this API. RDRAND for CPL0 only would work, but that seems odd.

And I think that RDSEED emulation is asking for trouble. RDSEED is
synchronous, but /dev/random is asynchronous. And making bootup wait
for even a single byte from /dev/random seems bad. In any event,
virtio-rng should be a better interface for this.